Friday, November 6, 2009

Can't Beet Cookies!

Or maybe you can.... Faced with the beets in our CSA box this week, I used a recipe that works for carrots and made beet cookies. The batter was very vivid:
But the cookies themselves weren't more than a hint of pink:
I like them. My friend likes them. And most impressively, my very picky nine-year-old likes them. Success! The same recipe works for squash, carrots, applesauce, bananas, etc. Here's my basic recipe:

LEFTOVER COOKIES
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. mashed-up (whatever)
1/2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour (I use a mix of white and cornmeal, with some whole wheat if I have it)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
whatever cookie spices you like (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, ginger, cardamom)
a cup of raisins (or sultanas, or currants, or chopped dried apricots, or craisins, or dates)
a cup of chopped walnuts (or chopped almonds)
citrus zest (if you have it around and you like the idea)

Mix together in the order shown. The batter will be thick enough to roll into balls. So roll it into balls, about ping-pong size. Bake well-spaced on a greased cookie sheet, 350F, for about 12-15 minutes, till they look dry. Remove from sheet promptly.

1 comment:

BHanson said...

This sounds great! It sounds like you were on the food network show, chopped :)